At Fine Framers, people often ask us to frame medals, ribbons, rosettes or other prizes from sports events and other contests. Framing medals and other such prizes requires specialist skills and techniques if it is to be achieved properly. We’re proud that we have all the experience and know-how required.
Take for example this recent project that we completed. It displays the ribbons and rosettes won by a prize bull calf at Agricultural Shows. It shows that people are proud of their success no matter what pursuit they are involved in. We do a top-class framing job to allow them display the fruits of those successes for many years to come.
Important aspects of framing medals
We consider many things when it comes to such framing projects, as they usually involve large and deep frames. These include:
- The choice of moulding. We can usually achieve successful framing with a single deep moulding. A second option is to stack a number of mouldings to achieve the required depth. Another option is to build a ‘shadow box’ behind a moulding. We always carefully consider these options and do which one is bet.
- The attachment method of the object(s) being framed. Options here include thread, cord, wire, clips, melinex strips, and more. Again, we consider all before choosing the best, bearing in mind the care and display needs of the object(s).
- The air space required. We need to leave sufficient space between the object(s) and the glazing. We mostly use wood slips cut to the desired depth to create a space in the frame’s rebate space. This ensures adequate separation between the glazing and the object(s) inside.
- The glazing used. In larger pieces, we use acrylic glazing, to keep the overall weight down. We can use different types of glazing for smaller pieces. We again always choose what is best for a particular project.
- The attachment method to wall. We also need to consider this at the time of build. For pieces that will fit flush with the wall, we can use a concealed French cleat. Other options are Z Bars, mirror plates, cord, and more.
Our attention to detail
This attention to detail is what separates us at Fine Framers from the rest when it comes to framing medals or other trophies and prizes, or indeed any type of 3D Object Framing.
Whatever you want framed, just bring it to us, and we’ll do it in the very best way possible. Call us at (059) 91 35645, use our contact us form, or call to see us in the Wexford Road Business Park on the outskirts of Carlow.