Experts in jersey framing…and proud of it!
Jersey framing and sports memorabilia framing are among the specialist services we provide at Fine Framers. We perform them with expertise and pride.
We know that when somebody wants a jersey or other sporting equipment framed, then those items are special to them. At Fine Framers, we go to great lengths to treat them with the care they deserve. We ensure they can be fittingly displayed in a home, clubhouse, or any other setting for many years to come.
Our jersey framing methods mean that jerseys and other items will not become damaged during the framing process or over time.
We do not employ short-cuts and cheaper methods that others use. These include packing the jersey tightly between the backboard and glass of the frame. This makes condensation come into contact with the jersey, causing it to rot. Nor do we use glues, tapes, or any other adhesives to mount the jersey. These too will cause irreparable damage.
Spending a little extra on jersey framing at the start will pay off manifold in the future. It will maintain the jersey in pristine condition, so that it can hang proudly for many years.
The good and bad of jersey framing
The examples below show the difference that using the correct process makes. We framed the Dublin GAA jersey using our expert techniques. You can see it is still in pristine condition. However, somebody else used shortcuts when framing the Ireland rugby jersey. These included using a cheap ready-made frame, and using just sticky tape to hold the jersey to the backboard. You can see the jersey is already sagging as it is not mounted properly. Furthermore, it is in direct contact with the glazing, so condensation will gather there over time and the jersey will rot.
Expert jersey framing technique
Our jersey framing technique sees us:
- Insert conservation-quality mountboard, to ‘stiffen’ the jersey prior to framing and to prevent it from sagging in the future
- Hand-stitch the jersey to this mountboard
- Place the mountboard against a backboard that is acid-free, to prevent harmful material leeching into the jersey over time
- Hand-stitch the mountboard to the backboard
- Leave sufficient space between the jersey and glass, to prevent damage caused by condensation
- Offer a choice of regular or specialty glass for the frame. Choices include a reflection control glass, to enhance visual impact; UV-resistant glass, to combat the long-term effect of harmful rays from the sun; or a combination of these in premium ‘museum glass’
- We also offer acrylic glazing as an alternative to glass, suitable for public locations where breakage is a possibility
Click on images below to explore gallery of our work.
We use similar expert techniques to also frame other memorabilia alongside your jersey. Doing so can really tell the story of the sporting occasion or memory you cherish. Popular items include photographs, match tickets and/or programmes, balls or other playing equipment, and text displays.
The story behind the jersey framing
Our in-house experts will lay all items out in the best manner possible to tell the story behind the frame, and then proceed to frame the display when you are happy with everything involved.
Sporting stories we have told to date through our jersey framing and sports memorabilia framing service include:
- Rugby star Sean O’Brien’s appearance for the British & Irish Lions versus Australia in the 2013 Lions tour (a large display featuring his jersey, shorts, socks and boots)
- A Barcelona FC fan’s trip to the Nou Camp stadium where he had jerseys signed by superstar Lionel Messi and several other players
- A young hurler’s first season with his local club, featuring his jersey, hurl, boots, and photos from his first-ever training session
- The Kilkenny All-Ireland senior hurling champions...of several years of the Brian Cody era!
Sporting medals we have framed include the Olympic bronze medal won by showjumper Cian O’Connor at the London Games of 2012, and multiple All-Ireland senior hurling medals.
We recommend that a name plate and/or title plate is added to each jersey framing or sports memorabilia framing project, to help further keep the memory alive and to immediately identify to others what exactly it is you are commemorating.
Details can be printed on plain paper for insertion within the interior mount, or etched onto a metal plate that can either go within the display or on the frame itself. There are ten different metal plate options available: grained silver, mirrored silver, stain silver, grained gold, mirrored gold, shiny champagne, matt champage, white, steel, and copper.
Black is best
We generally use black backboards and frames for jersey framing and sports memorabilia framing projects, as they help the visual impact of the strong colours of the jersey and other items within the frame. However, other colour options are available on request.
Frames also come with a choice of hanging options, with some being more suitable for family homes, and some for clubhouses, bars, hotels, and other public spaces.
We always welcome the challenge of ensuring that your framed jersey or other sports equipment becomes a one-of-a-kind display that will showcase your memories in the best way possible – and we will always meet and surpass that challenge!